Embrace Fitness Freedom: Building Your Own Backyard Home Gym Shed
Last updated Tuesday, August 22nd, 2023
It takes more than pure motivation to meet your fitness goals. Even if you’re 100% committed to get fit, it may be hard for you to find a proper gym near you. Or maybe it’s too expensive to sign up for a long-term gym membership.
But what if you could bring a gym into your own backyard? It would instantly solve the problem of accessibility and affordability in one stroke. You can build a dedicated fitness space that’s open 24/7 just a few steps away from your home.
Colonial Barns & Sheds has helped several fitness enthusiasts meet their goals by building backyard home gym sheds for them. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits and features of having a home gym. We’ll also give you a step-by-step guide to help you build your own backyard home gym shed.
The Benefits of a Home Gym Shed
If there’s one thing the pandemic taught us, it’s the importance of being able to maintain your health and workflow sitting at home. Most of us got comfortable with the work-at-home culture. However, the workout-at-home culture hasn’t caught on yet. You have no idea how simple your fitness goals can become by building a home gym shed.
So let’s go through some of the top benefits of setting up a home gym shed:
- Dedicated Fitness Zone – It’s hard to move around freely for five steps before you bump into some object in most homes. Making room for weights, bars, and other workout equipment is going to clutter your home for sure. An organized home gym shed solves both issues by giving you a dedicated space to exercise every day.
- Ultimate Convenience – Waking up early and driving through traffic mentally exhausts you before you even break a sweat. Finishing your workout routine in a crowded gym where everyone has to share equipment makes it more inconvenient. A home gym shed that’s exclusively built for your use and only a few steps away from your house will naturally motivate you to stay active..
- Privacy and Customizability – Being in a sweaty crowded space is not something everyone is comfortable with. A home gym shed gives you the luxury of privacy, which allows you to exercise without feeling self-conscious or claustrophobic. Secondly, you can customize your home gym layout and equipment to suit your workout preferences. For instance, you may prefer a minimalist peaceful ambience if you’re using it for yoga. Or you may need some specialized equipment for your calisthenics and CrossFit training.
Building a Shed for Your Home Gym
Building a home gym shed sounds like a cool project to literally get your adrenaline pumping. However, there are multiple steps between bringing your home gym shed out of your dreams and into your yard.
Here are the three main steps you’ll have to take to set up your home gym shed:
- Choosing the Right Size – Check how much backyard space you have and how much space you’ll need to accommodate your gym equipment. Think about your favorite exercises and the movements involved. This will help you pick the right equipment and storage area to accommodate them. Medium to extra-large home gym sheds are better choices if you’re planning to spend a lot of time work out daily.
- Hiring a reputed shed builder – Choose a builder with a proven track record of building high-quality home gym sheds that have stood the test of time. At Colonial Barns & Sheds, we offer a 10-year warranty and a licensed architectural engineer’s stamp of certification for every shed we build. That’s how much faith we put into our durable materials and superior workmanship. And when you look at the sheds we built 20-40 years ago standing in great shape even today, we’ll win your faith too.
- Following Construction Codes – You need to keep up with your local building codes and regulations before starting your project. Every area has its unique construction standards. You need to check if you need any permits or approvals to build your home gym shed. Luckily, we’ll take care of all these formalities when you hire us and build a home gym shed that follows all local construction codes.
Key Features and Considerations
Here are some essential features you must consider to build the perfect home gym shed:
- Foundation – A strong and stable foundation is essential for the stability and longevity of your gym shed. Well-leveled concrete or gravel foundations are what you’re looking for. Secondly, you should pick out flooring that’s durable and easy to maintain such as rubber tiles or vinyl flooring.
- Wall Construction – Climate plays a critical role in determining what material you should use for your shed walls. Some of the most popular options we offer include wood, vinyl, and metal siding because of their longevity and weather resistance.
- Doors and Windows – Use doors that easily allow you to take your gym equipment through them. Proper lighting and ventilation will liven up your shed and make it easy to spend long durations inside.
- Insulation – Choose insulation that keeps your shed free from excess moisture. It should keep your gym cool in the summer and warm in the winter. You should be able to exercise comfortably without being restricted by harsh weather conditions.
- Electrical and Lighting Solutions – Plan out the installation of electric outlets strategically. It’ll help you keep the shed properly illuminated by installing lighting fixtures in the right places.
- Interior Design Elements – Using the right form while working out is as important as the number of reps you do. Installing a mirror will help you keep a close eye on it. You can also add motivational quotes or posters on the walls to create an upbeat ambience.
Creating a Functional and Motivating Workout Space
Start by visiting your favorite gym and make a note of all the elements that made it your favorite place to work out.
When it comes to designing the ideal home gym ambience, you need the right balance of functional and motivational elements.
You need to keep it clutter-free with designated areas for different equipment. Try to organize them in a way that makes your workout flow smoothly. You should be able to quickly wrap up one part of your routine and move on to the next without breaking the flow. Place larger equipment in one area and leave enough room for exercises that require a lot of movement.
You can also bring some personality to your gym shed by adding posters of your role models and inspiring quotes. Install a music system to break a sweat to your favorite tracks. It’ll help create a positive and energetic ambience to keep you focused on your fitness journey.
It’s good to start with a budget range in mind for your home gym shed after identifying what kind of shed you want to build. Based on your needs, we’ll give you a variety of options to choose from and their costs for construction, equipment, and interior design.
The total cost depends on factors like the shed size, the materials chosen, and the type of gym equipment. You can look up different suppliers to get the best deals for your gym equipment. You can even purchase second-hand equipment to save money.
Maintenance for Longevity
At Colonial Barns & Sheds, we believe in keeping your workout limited to your home gym shed. You won’t have to work hard to maintain it once we build it. However, it helps to regularly inspect your gym shed to assess any signs of wear and tear. Make a note of any loose or damaged components, such as roofing shingles or siding. You should fix them early to avoid further damage.
Maintaining your gym equipment and keeping your shed interiors clean is essential too. Study the manufacturer’s manuals to understand how to clean and service your gym equipment.